Waypoint's Survivors’ Program supports and advocates for individuals who have lost a family member or friend through homicide or vehicular homicide. Support is also given to victims of violent felony crimes, such as kidnapping, robbery, and attempted murder. All services are 100% free and confidential.
Join us for National Crime Victims Rights' Week April 23-29, 2023!
Advocates with the Survivors' Program can offer support with:
- Emergency crisis support
- Information and referals
- Support groups and crisis counseling
- Case coordination through investigation, prosecution, and post-sentencing
- Death notification
- Body viewing
- Assistance with funeral arrangements
- Arranging crime scene clean-up
- Acting as a media liaison
- Assistance with filing and understanding Victim Compensation
- Attending hearings with victims/family members
- Preparation for testifying
- Assistance in finding financial assistance for victims/family members, such as food gift cards, gas cards, and direct billing for hotels
- Information and referrals for counseling and therapy
- Meeting with schools to assist with children returning to the classroom after the homicide of a parent
- Finding alternate housing
- Facilitating communication and attending meetings between law enforcement and the prosecutor's office and the victim
- Viewing trial evidence
- Showing crime scene photos to the family members
- Handouts regarding grief and loss for different age groups and different relationships
- Working with victims' employers
- Attending parole hearings
- Writing victim impact statements
- Presenting victim impact statements if requested in court
- Witness testimony
- For Des Moines, Henry, Jefferson, Keokuk, Lee, Van Buren, & Washington Counties, please contact Greg Trudell at 319.531.7085.
- For Benton, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Linn, Poweshiek, & Tama Counties, please contact Penny Galvin at 319.531.7089.
Waypoint offers education and professional training surrounding the impact of homicide and vehicular homicide on individuals, families, and the community. Victim impact panels are also available. For more information about training and education, contact Penny Galvin, Director of Survivors’ Program, at 319.531.7089.
The Survivors' Program serves Benton, Des Moines, Henry, Iowa, Jefferson, Johnson, Jones, Keokuk, Lee, Linn, Poweshiek, Tama, Van Buren and Washington Counties.
Domestic Violence Resource & Support Line
KidsPoint Child Care
318 5th St SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401