Understanding sexual assault within the context of domestic violence
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, please contact our Domestic Violence Program team at 319.363.2093 or 800.208.0388. If you do not connect with someone, leave a detailed message with good contact information and someone should return your call within 24 hours.
With sexual assault and abuse being a common tactic of abusive partners, it is important to know what it looks like in a hurtful relationship. In essence, this form of abuse is any type of sexual activity that an individual does not consent to, whether it's verbal, visual, or anything that forces the person to join in unwanted sexual contact or attention.
Examples of these types of behaviors include, but are not limited to:
- Verbal comments about one's body, including what type of clothing one wears
- Sexual innuendos or jokes
- Leering or staring at another's body
- Pressure for sexual activity
- Spreading sexual rumors
- Discussion of partner's sexual performance, history, etc.
- Pinching, grabbing, or holding onto someone
- Display of pornography
- Continuous pressure for a date
- Exposing someone to sexual transmitted infections
- Sabotaging or denying access to birth control
- Requiring sex before basic needs will be met (food, shelter, or items for the house or children)
Contact Waypoint for free, confidential services
If you or someone you know is experiencing any form of domestic or dating violence, Waypoint's Victim Advocates are available 24/7 through the Resource & Support Line at 800.208.0388. You deserve to be heard, and Waypoint is here to help.